The Fire Brigade and Police were informed and attended the scene to ask
20,000 people to remain
inside closing all doors and windows. Local Hospitals were alerted.
The cloud of gas was toxic. Contact with skin and eyes would
cause burns and irritation, and
highly dangerous if inhaled.
The Gas would be more than likely to cause an adverse health effect on animals.
At 11am on 30th May 1998 Nitric Acid again spilled from a Tank causing
a second cloud of gas
to escape however this time at a third of the toxicity of the first. The first being 70% and the
second being at 28%.